Padel court manufacture
In this first post of our blog we welcome you by talking about the padel court measurements that are required under the regulations of the Spanish Padel Federation. As specialists, at a global level, in construction and design of padel courts we are governed by the technical specifications in compliance with the existing regulations.
In the name of padel. The padel court, our meeting place.
Because for us it is more than just paddle tennis and here are some of the different aspects to take into account, according to the rules of paddle tennis, in the construction of a paddle tennis court.
Dimensions of the padel court
- The playing area is a rectangle of 10 metres wide by 20 metres long (inside measurements) with a tolerance of 0.5%. This rectangle is divided in half by a net. On both sides of the net, parallel to each other and at a distance of 6.95 metres are the service lines.
- The space between the net and the service lines is divided in half by a perpendicular to them, the service line, dividing the area into 2 equal zones.
- The centre service line shall extend 20 centimetres beyond the service line. The two halves of the court must be symmetrical in terms of surface area and line layout.
- The lines shall be 5 centimetres wide and the colour preferably white or black (in contrast to the ground).
- The minimum clear height shall be 6 metres over the entire surface (without being obstructed by any factor, e.g. spotlights). For new constructions a minimum height of 8 metres is suggested.
It has a length of 10 metres with a height of 0.88 metres at its centre, rising at its ends to 0.92 metres (maximum) with a maximum tolerance of 0.005 metres. It is suspended by a metal cable with a maximum diameter of 0.01 metres and the ends are attached to two posts of a height of 1.05 metres or to the structure itself, which holds it taut. The net is finished at the top with a band (white background) with a width of 5 – 6.3 centimetres. An additional band with advertising (not wider than 9 centimetres) can be added.
The track shall be completely enclosed, with a 10 m inner length at the bottom and 20 m inner length at the sides.
The total height of the enclosure is 4 m, where the first 3 metres can be made of any transparent or opaque material, complying with the requirements indicated for the “sides” of walls and the last metre is made of metal mesh.
There are two variants according to padel regulations:
- Variant 1: staggered wall areas (both sides), three metres high by two metres long (first cloth) and two metres high by two metres long the second cloth. The metal mesh areas complement the enclosure up to 3 m in height in the central 16 m and up to 4 m in height in the two m at the ends.
- Variant 2: the first characteristics are the same as the previous one, but in this case the metal mesh areas are up to 4 metres high along the length of the enclosure.
For glass padel courts, the existing standards for tempered glass must be complied with: European Union: EN 12150-1. There are several types of mesh and each one meets different specifications: metal mesh, electrowelded mesh and simple twisted mesh.
Floor of the runway
It may be made of porous concrete, wood, cement, synthetic materials, artificial turf or any material on which the ball has a regular bounce. The colour must be one (uniform) colour and must be distinguishable from the walls. Black is only possible for indoor facilities.
Safety and outdoor play area
Each side of the padel court shall have two access openings, with no physical obstacles to prevent exit. The openings shall be protected on three sides with a shock absorbing product (not less than 2 cm thick).
Paddle court lighting
Artificial light shall be uniform and shall not obstruct the view of players, referees or spectators, LED padel court lighting is ideal. They shall comply with the European standard EN 12193 “Lighting of sports facilities” with different minimum lighting levels.
It is recommended that the longitudinal axis of the court (in outdoor facilities) should be N-S, with a variation between N-NE and N-NW.
These are just some padel rules in relation to the characteristics that are specified by the International Padel Federation, there are some other aspects that we have not included. Regarding the construction prices between one court and another will vary mainly depending on the materials needed for its manufacture.
If you need to build a padel court, we can offer you the best solution adapted to your needs.